Thursday, February 3, 2011

D. H. Lawrence's 'The Rainbow' and 'La Cle Sur La Porte' de Christiane Rochefort

I'm struggling through 'The Rainbow' by D H Lawrence at the mo. It's a good book. I'm about a third of the way through. He writes beautifully, descriptively and very romantically. But he doesn't half waffle on!

I love Thomas Hardy, despite his 'wordiness' and instrusive narration, but Lawrence seems to take this to a whole new level! In Chapter 2 'They Live At The Marsh', about 40000000 paragraphs in a row described Tom and Lydia's distance peppered with brief flashes of carnal-caused closeness. THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH YOU CAN SAY ABOUT THIS, SURELY. By about the 2nd paragraph I'd got the idea but no, there were another 39999998 left to go on the subject.

It's a good book. I'm enjoying it. I like the way Lawrence writes. Apart from his waffle. It's a frustrating book. I'm avoiding it at present. It is lurking at the bottom of my handbag and only comes out after I've had a stiff drink and have mentally prepared myself. It's a good book. It's a frustrating book. I'm enjoying it. I can't wait to get through it.

So as part of my avoidance strategy I am reading a simplified version of 'La Cle Sur La Porte' by Christiane Rochefort.

Pour eviter D. H. Lawrence alors, je lis une edition simplifiee de 'La Cle Sur La Porte' de Christiane Rochefort. Ce livre s'agit d'une femme de vers quarante ans qui raconte la jeunesse de ses trois enfants et leurs amis, a qui elle ouvrait son appartement tout le temps. Elle raconte les epreuves des vies des ados ce qu'elle connait. Je l'ai commence hier soir et je trouve que c'est un bon livre, l'edition simplifiee est facile pour moi a comprendre pourtant j'apprends plus de la langue en le lisant aussi. Une progression parfaite apres 'Le Petit Prince', je me sens de plus en plus confiante en lisant les livres francais.

The book is about the experience of a woman of about forty years of age, who tells the story of the teenagerhood of her three children and their friends, to whom she opens her flat 24/7. She recounts the challenges the teenagers face. I started this book yesterday evening and I think it's a good book (certainly light relief from Lawrence) and the simplified edition is easy for me to understand, although I am still learning loads of French from it too. It's a perfect progression from 'Le Petit Prince' and I'm beginning to feel more and more confident about reading French literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment