Thursday, June 23, 2011

77 Love Sonnets by Garrison Keillor

I got this beautiful little book as a gift. It comes with 2 CDs of Garrison reading and singing the sonnets, which I loved. I am a big fan of his, I love the Lake Woebegon stories - I have never read them, only listened to them on tape. So the fact that I could read and listen to these sonnets was lovely.

After reading the first two sonnets my reaction was "wow! these are really good!" and this reaction continued to the end of the collection. Not to say that there aren't some weaker ones, but I was struck by how cleverly Keillor uses the sonnet form. I loved the references to earlier sonnets, for example in 'My Love' which references Bunyan, Herrick, Marlowe...but the real strength of this collection is Keillor's observations of ordinary humanness and exquisitely playful matching of language and form.

I loved this little book. Lots of it's about love, lots about sex, lots about growing old, and lots about ordinary people, and lots of other themes to boot. Beautifully written sonnets with Keillor's own brand of tender humour. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment