Friday, April 6, 2012

'Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal' by Jeanette Winterson

I saw Jeanette Winterson give a talk at UEA in March, in which she read from this, her new book. Just like I had snapped up a ticket to go and see her speak, I snapped up this book. Both the talk and the book are for me two pieces of that rare art that absolutely touches you. Seeing her speak, and hearing her recite a couple of lines of T. S. Eliot, almost had me in tears. Winterson is just one of those writers who can cut to the heart of things, and show them in all their beauty and sadness. Read her books.
Why Be Happy..? revisits Winterson's experience of growing up that she first wrote about in the wonderful Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit. Once again, Winterson tackles painful issues such as adoption, religious dogma and growing up with sharp, tender, inspiring humour. It's witty, it's poignant. It traces her childhood and teenage years, escape from working class Accrington to Oxford, mental breakdown, and trying to trace her biological mother. It covers a lot of ground, some of it already trodden, but all of it original, exciting, touching, funny.
I'll be passing this book around to my nearest and dearest. It's not just an autobiography. It is so many things besides. You'll have to read it yourself to find out. The one thing I found slightly wearing was that the 'grown up' bit of the book seemed slightly self-indulgent to me...but then again, Winterson is undoubtedly a writer who deserves to indulge herself.
A great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment